Thermaflect Shield™ is a universal flexible heat shield that deflects heat away and is rugged enough to be used for almost any radiant heat application. If used with a 1-inch air gap between the heat source and Thermaflect Shield™ and with good airflow, this heatshield can reflect over 90 percent of radiant heat. We use a 1/4-inch-thick BioCool thermal-barrier inner pad sandwiched between heavy-duty foil, bound and sewn together with a stainless steel mesh at the edges. BioCool is a non-caustic, non-flammable thermal barrier. It does not cause itching and won’t smoke or smell the first time it is heat-cycled. By binding the edges with this mesh, we created greater flexibility and a more rugged product. This heatshield withstands 1,100 degrees F continuous radiant heat, and 500 degrees F direct when in direct contact.
Thermaflect Shield™ is intended for wrapping around air boxes, electrical boxes and air conditioning components or is used to shield radiant heat from catalytic converters, mufflers and DPF, and on the bottom of the floorpans. Thermaflect Shield™ may be fastened with Thermal-Tie™, safety wire, screws or rivets.
Thermaflect Shield can bet wrapped around a component and secured with our Thermal-Tie, clamp, or wire
- Thermaflect Shield may be secured to a panel using an adhesive or mechanical fasenters.
- Use large washer (fender washer) or large head rivets
- Pre-punch holes through Thermaflect Shield. This way when screing into shield, you reduce risk of screw grabbing insulation inside.
- Attach shield to panel
Spray adhesive installation
- Degrease and clean surface any residual dirt, grease, or chemicals, use carburetor spray or other cleaner/degreaser.
- We strongly recommend rubbing the surface with a pre-paint cleaner or isopropyl alcohol (or other non-residue cleaner) after cleaning and degreasing.
- Spray surface area and side of Thermaflect Shield with spray adhesive (something like 3M Super 77 or 3M super Trim adhesive)
- Let both surfaces get tacky
- Press Thermaflect Shield onto surface and hold for 2 minutes
- If you with to edge the surface of the Thermalfect shield use the Cool Foil Tape or Thermaflect Tape
MSDS | Specification Sheet | Brochure
Insulation type: Heatshield barrier - reflects radiant heat away
Not to be used directly on exhaust system.
Base Material: BioCool insulation, aluminum
Q. Can I put Thermaflect Shield directly on the exhaust?
A. No, Thermaflect Shield is a radiant heat barrier it is engineered to shield heat that is 1" away from the shield.
Q. Why don't you recommend a high temperature spray adhesive for Thermaflect Shield?
A. A high temperature spray adhesive would work just fine. Thermaflect Shield knocks heat down enough that is falls well within the temperature parameters of 3M's Super 77 or Super Trim adhesive spray
Use Thermaflect Shield on:
- Floor pan
- Above muffler
- Above catalytic converter
- Air Box